It was a good day at the orphanage today. We started out on the second floor balcony again just with T and D. We used the quiet time to break out the finger paints I brought with us in hopes of being able to get T's hand prints. We successfully captured her prints so that I can bring them home to put in a frame. We then let her paint whatever she wanted on a sheet of paper, which she seemed to enjoy. It held her attention for a little bit and then she was ready for something else.
She wanted to go downstairs again to roundup her little friend. We spent a little more time on the balcony and then she wanted to go on the swing set. We headed outside with T and S. T is going to be a little dare devil, I can see that already. She likes to freak mama out and let go of the swing while she is swinging and then she giggles. I'm envisioning her falling backwards and cracking her head open! Thankfully papa was behind her to make sure that didn't happen. We headed back upstairs and played some more and handed out snacks. She had lots of snacks today, everything from gummy bears to crackers and cheese, she was all about it.
We played for a while longer on the balcony and then I could tell she was getting tired. I could see her mood changing. Before I knew it she was fast asleep on me again. Today while T napped on me I had a full blown hair session with some of the kids. W started playing with my hair and then another little girl caught on and she was the fiercest hairdresser I have ever had. She was all of maybe 5 or 6 and she cracked me up. She was singing and be-poppin' while she was doing my hair. She did a twist on one side of my head and then moved to the other side to work her magic. She was talking to me in Creole and I had no idea what she was saying. I could tell it was a question and I just said "Wi". I laughed and told Misty, she could be asking to cut my hair off and I am just saying Yes! (Thankfully she wasn't asking that.)
At one point, again speaking in Creole, she was asking me a question. I picked out the word pomade and she had her hand extended out to me. I told her I didn't have any pomade. She let go of my hair and headed off the balcony. Within minutes she came back holding her hand out like she had something in it. Sure enough...pomade...or some type of hair product. She started working it through my hair and she would smell it and made me smell it to show me that it smells good. (Like she's selling me the product or something! HA!) She was so darn cute. It was a fun nap session for mama today. I got to have my girl cuddled up in my lap while a had a beauty session!
Near the end of the day we ended up with quite a few kids on the balcony so there was a flurry of activity. In our bag of craft activities I had some pipe cleaners that I had tried to use with a craft the other day. Somehow those got opened again today and our translator had made glasses out of them and put them on one of the kids. He was a trendsetter because I then had a line of kids with two pipe cleaners in hand ready for me to make glasses for them. Some even came back for a matching bracelet. I was glad Mike thought of doing that. It is amazing how something so simple can create a fun time for kiddos. It was cute to see them walking around with pipe cleaner glasses as though it was totally normal.
At one point I asked Shawn to get a packet of gummies for one of the older boys that joined us. He wasn't there when we had passed a bunch out earlier in the day. That act caused Shawn to be mauled by a bunch of littles, probably about 15 - 20, all with their arms raised and they were chanting "Shawn, Shawn, Shawn, Shawn!!" in their Creole accents. All he could envision was minions. He was a rock star with the goods!
When it was time to leave today T had tears again. We walked her down to her room and handed her off to a nanny that was outside of the room and thanked the nanny. She consoled T and we said our goodbyes for the day. Praying that God will prepare her heart and ours for the days ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment